After two years on the DoCrafts Design Team I decided not to apply for a third term. I've had a great time and made some really good friends and gained a whole load of new products in the process. Here are a few of my favourite makes some of which were used and some not. Lets start off with the Gorjuss projects.
Loved this using the bottle tops squashed and painted to make this child's bracelet. More tomorrow xx
I have been so lucky to be accepted into the DecoArt Blogger Outreach Programme. It has been agony waiting for my box of lovely goodies to arrive from the USA and I wasn't disappointed. I decided to choose only 6 products for my first project mainly to show beginners how easy it is to get great effects using a small palette. My project is a Heart Box
There is loads of detail in there which I will show in a minute but first here is a list of what I used: DecoArt Products: DMM21 White Modelling Paste DMM19 Black Gesso DAO1 Snow White Paint DAO15 Cadium Red Paint DA148 Emperors Gold Paint DA238 Canyon Orange Paint Other items: Wooden Heart Box White decorative lace White Flowers (2 sizes) Decorative Chipboard Moulded Shield Plastic Hearts Brick Stencil I started out by using moulding paste through a brick stencil to add detail to both the left and right of the heart, adding texture paste to the centre of the heart using a palette knife and creating rough peaks pretty much like you would do with icing on a cake. Once dry added the molded shield and covered the whole heart with black gesso.
Next step was to dry brush the Emperors Gold paint over the top of the lid to highlight the bricks and background detail.
At this point I decided to add the small plastic hearts and the chipboard embellishments.
Covering them in black Gesso and then, when dry, adding the Emperors Gold paint made them look like metal. Next it was time to get the flowers and lace ready. I coated the lace in black Gesso and laid to one side to dry. It was important that the lace dried completely flat so I used additional Gesso to flatten any creases or folds as it dried. The flowers I painted first with Canyon Orange paint making sure that the brush was not to wet. It took some time but I was pleased with the result. Next I added Cadmium Red paint to the tips of the flower petals and then dragged any excess into the centre of each flower. These took about an hour to dry out thoroughly.
Next I arranged everything on top of the box and stuck in place only adding "Always" when I was happy with how it looked.
The lace, now dry, was added around the side if the heart lid and stuck in place with a glue gun. If you try painting lace you will learn that as it dries it becomes stiff and much easier to mold around boxes and jars. Once in place I dry brushed the lace and touched the tips of the flowers with Emperors Gold paint.
Then I dry brushed the whole thing with white Gesso. Here are a few close up photos of the finished project.
I really enjoyed making this Heart Box. I hope you enjoyed sharing it with me. If you have any questions please comment below. Off to play some more now x
I made a mixed media layout for Scrapping Your Family last Saturday (you can see the original class layout in a few days time, by clicking the button on your right) and decided to take it a bit further. When I'm designing any mixed media layout for a class I often make a dummy or prep piece to see roughly what the finished layout will look like and time the process to make sure it can be done within the time. This class I decided to use paper napkins. I have a huge stash of these and I have been collecting them for years. I loved the prep work so much that when I got home I added it to the original layout to make a more complete picture. Here is the finished piece
You can see that I have not stuck it down completely s I may add some pockets to the left for additional photos and journaling.
A little while ago I joined the Maremi's Creative Cafe Group on Facebook. It was started by Marta Lapkowska and is a great friendly and positive place to share art. Even though it has only been going for a few weeks, there are now over 3500 members and growing daily. Marta stared a challenge #52 Cafe cards and I thought I'd share the first four that I have made. Based on the alphabet the first four are: A for ART B for Bubbles C for Coffee D for Dragonfly Here are all four pinned to my easel
(love the little characters in the bubbles)
So the first three looked like this
and then this is the latest one
Can't wait for the next one. Wonder what "E" will bring lol. xx